Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ladybug Cake

Posted by Heather at 12:10 PM
Yesterday, apparently, I sat gazing at my hands and cursing their flesh toned-ness... I mean, why be white when I can be red? I swear if I took photos of *just* my hands, I could pass as a red Oompa Loompa. Surely.

I decided to make fondant ladybugs. Making fondant ladybugs means dying fondant red, unless you have the financial capability and store availability to buy red fondant. I had neither, so I dyed my hands. And then with my hands I dyed the fondant. In that order, though in fairness it wasn't meant to be that way.

I made about 6 ladybugs of varying sizes. The largest one is about the size of a mini muffin, the smallest about the size of a nickel.

Instructions are:

Take a red ball, roll it between your hands into an egg shape. With a knife, press a line down into the back of the egg shape, lengthwise, press down about 2/3rds to the bottom. You're left with something resembling a red coffee bean.

Get a smaller peice of black fondant, roll it out between your hands into a short rope, fatter in the middle. Curve it backwards, put it onto the end of the red coffee bean.

Use the end of a paintbrush, toothpick, whatever - to poke eye holes in the black fondant, roll your tool around some to loosen up the hole.

Use small balls of white fondant, roll them into a teardrop shape, push them into the face holes skinny end first and press down to make eyes.

From this point on you can simply use black colour paste and a paintbrush, paint dots on the eyes and on the back of the ladybugs.

This is as far as mine got. You can also find something curved to indent a smile into the face, or use black rice noodles for antennae.

After this point, I used my apple cake (here) in a square pan. No filling, though if I'd had my apple jelly with me (I'm on vacation), I would have filled it with that. Rum butter-cream on top, and then I dyed the rest of my butter-cream green and piped grass on top, before placing my ladybugs on it. I finished it off with some red smarties that I found. I'm like the scavenger baker.

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments on "Ladybug Cake"

Post a Comment

 

Confections of a Sugar Monster Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez