Saturday, July 2, 2011

F is for FIRE

Posted by Heather at 5:53 PM
...THAT BURNS DOWN THE WHOLE TOWN!



Phew. Am I ever glad to have an excuse to post THAT.

Yesterday (July 1) was a special day. Not only was it Canada's birthday, it was my father-in-laws birthday also. Sorry Canada, you didn't rate. But I did make a birthday cake for my father-in-law, and I had to really think about it since all he specified when I asked him about it was that it had to be chocolate. The more chocolate the merrier.

So, being a pretty rough and gruff guy, I knew I couldn't get away with the typical "cute" cakes that I normally make. And I didn't want to end up with something just plain, either. It occurred to me that this man has flames on everything possible, and I figured fire was a safe bet. With that in mind I started out. Chocolate cake, check. Chocolate filling, check. Chocolate butter-cream, check. Then I threw the whole thing in the freezer, dyed the rest of the chocolate icing black, and coated the entire thing in black.

I bought a set of fondant cutters that were intended to be leaves. They looked close enough to flames to me. I originally had intended to do the fire in chocolate too, but my plan had flaws. I'd spread out a layer of milk chocolate, then covered that in a layer of white chocolate dyed orange. Then I tried to cut out the shapes. I see my error now. In the end I made my fondant flames and used broken up pieces of my chocolate as embers.

The top had some chocolate crunch and gold sprinkles, and I left a circle in the middle to write happy birthday in orange (colour and flavour) glitter gel. Voila.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments on "F is for FIRE"

Post a Comment

 

Confections of a Sugar Monster Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez