Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Bug-cakes

Posted by Heather at 4:48 PM
I'm a little slow here, these were ordered (and made) last week, by a woman who wanted them for her grandsons birthday for his classmates.

Anyone who knows me knows that I would not make bugs (generally speaking) of my own volition, because I feel about bugs the same way I imagine a 4 year old feels about the bogeyman. My typical reaction to insects of any sort is a shameful mix of screaming, squealing and flailing - my mind doesn't register that I am approximately 1000 times larger and that this grotesque little creature can't, in fact, actually hurt me. In my mind it's the size of godzilla and it wants to bear hug me before devouring me. Seriously. I need help.

That said, because I did have to make bugs, I made them as cute and un-bug-like as I possibly could. There were 30 of these made, and I had some caterpillars, some spiders, some ladybugs and some ants.

I'd bought some "rocks" bulk, just because I was sure I'd use them at some point - they are candy covered chocolate and they actually look like pebbles. So I piped grass onto the cupcakes, put a bug on each, and scattered rocks around them. Everything was edible.

Last minute hook - one child was lactose intolerant. Rather than making one single lactose-free cupcake, I made them all that way.

Without further ado -

Lactose-free Cupcakes
Makes 30-32 cupcakes

-6 cups flour
-5 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-1 1/3 cups margarine or shortening (I used half and half)
-3 1/2 cups sugar
-4 eggs
-2 1/2 cup Lactaid milk
Soy or rice milk could be used, but I don't know what it'll end up like - I used Lactaid (Lactose-free milk).
-2 tsp vanilla
-2 tbsp lemon zest

Cream margarine and/or shortening with sugar, add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla, mix. Mix all dry ingredients, add alternating with milk, in 2 or 3 additions, mix well after each addition. Mix in lemon zest.

Spoon into prepared cupcake liners and bake at 350 degrees, 15-20 minutes.

I used butter-cream on these that I substituted again some margarine and shortening instead of butter.

The spiders and ants had legs piped on for simplicity.

And here they are:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

0 comments on "Bug-cakes"

Post a Comment

 

Confections of a Sugar Monster Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez